Thursday, February 19, 2009

Freak Show/s



I was going to devote this post entirely to Mickey Rourke, but recent events demand that I also include the bizarro tale of Sandra Herold and Travis the chimp - but more on that in a bit.

First, Mickey Rourke.

OK, someone has to say it. Mickey Rourke is a one-man freak show. I mean what is up with the royal blue velvet slippers with crest? And that hairdo? And that Paris-Hilton-like-dog (rest it's poor soul).

Maybe I'm just pissed because I think this guy is going to steal the best actor award from Sean Penn. Or more accurately, the "Academy" is going to deny the award to Penn because he's already been there and done that and, god knows, Hollywood loves a good redemption story.

But Rourke's story is too weird. And The Wrestler was just Rourke actually being himself - what's "acting" have to do with it?

And am I the only one who thinks The Wrestler is a
panegyric to steroid use and self-abuse? When asked if he took steroids, Rourke replied “When I’m a wrestler, I behave like a wrestler."

Yeah, right, I think I hear you.

Plus, I think the film is both bad and bogus.

Now, for Travis the chimp.

I'm sure you've already heard the horrible incident where Travis the chimp mauled a women, his loving owner tried to stab his ass to death, failed, and finally the cops had to shot him to death.

But did you know that Ms Herold treated Travis as both surrogate child and husband?

Too weird!

Look at that picture above for a few minutes. Let me know what your reaction is.