Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Milk - The Movie

You didn't ask me, but I'm in complete agreement with the New York Film Critics Circle selection of Gus Van Sant's "Milk" as best film of 2008.

I saw "Milk" in a packed theater at BAM Rose Cinema in Brooklyn last Sunday. (BTW - BAM is one of the best places to watch a movie in NYC.)

For over 2 hours I sat in my seat totally spellbound by this movie's power to touch my heart and my soul and to stir the activist juices within me.

I think it one of the best and most important films I have seen in years. And it is one of the best films ever on the topic of civil and human rights.

The NYFCC also selected Sean Penn as Best Actor. If Penn doesn't win the Oscar for this role it will be a major oversight. Penn is one of the best actors of his generation, and gives the performance of a lifetime in his role as Harvey Milk.

Josh Brolin was selected Best Supporting Actor by the NYFCC. Also richly deserved. Brolin gave a very strong and edgy performance as Dan White.

I loved this movie. Go see it while it's still in theaters - it deserves to be seen on the big screen.

As A.O.Scott said in his The New York Times review, "'Milk' is marvel."